- Should I open the windows to help the drying process?
- Do I need to move out while you restore my home after a fire or smoke damage?
- What causes mould?
Opening the windows in your home to assist the drying process is not always recommended. Outside weather conditions may vary. Your ServiceMaster Restore technician will determine when and if opening windows to let in outside air is advisable.
Depending on the extent of the fire or smoke damage, this is ultimately your decision. Your insurance company may provide some guidance on this matter. Some things you may want to consider are safety concerns, odours, electricity, and disruption as a result of the equipment, work and noise that may be necessary to complete the restoration process in your home. If vacating your premises during the process, consider forwarding your mail to your temporary residence; stopping your newspaper and other deliveries; notifying your utility company, cable company, etc., of the temporary suspension of services during the restoration process.
Excess moisture caused by leaks or flooding in your commercial property — especially in typically damp environments like the kitchen and bathrooms — creates the perfect breeding ground for mould or mildew. To control and reduce the risk for mould growth in these areas, you must properly maintain your plumbing system and monitor any appliances in your facility that use large quantities of water, such as dish washers. Small amounts of indoor mould are unavoidable and usually harmless. In damp environments, however, mould spores can more easily reproduce and cause more serious and difficult to remove mould problems.